Skip to main content

The Work and the Glory Book 1 by Gerald N. Lund

Brief synopsis (no spoilers):   We are able to witness the unfolding of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through the eyes of a fictitious family, the Steeds. They moved to New York from Vermont in 1826 in search of better farm land. When Benjamin, the father, hires Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum as workers on their farm, the Steed family is tossed into chaos by the events revolving around Joseph. This book covers the years 1827-1830.

Category: Historical Fiction

Why I chose this book: I've tried to read them before but couldn't get into them. When I saw them on my mom's bookshelf I thought it was time to give them another try. I'm glad I did!
 
My personal opinion (the review): This book is amazing! I am so glad I gave it another chance (in fact, I'm wondering what made me put it down the first time). I have found myself so swept up in the story and concerned for each of the characters. I am impressed with how historically accurate and well researched the author is on the not only the LDS history, but on what life on the frontier must have been like. Most of all, reading this story has given me a greater appreciation for what Joseph Smith and the early converts of the Church must have gone through. It's not that I never knew they were real or what happened to them, but these stories have helped to make them a little more tangible and accessible to me. Lastly, another thing I have enjoy is getting to hear these stories in chronological order. I have heard most of them before but only as snippets and not in the full context of what may have been going on in Church/American history at the time.  

Warnings
Language: Very very very few, spoken by mob members and periphery characters, not the main characters.
Violence: Mob violence against characters in the story.
"Adult" situations: None
Death: Death of infants and children from prairie life conditions is mentioned.

Movie rating equivalent: PG/PG-13

Protagonist description: One of the very intricate beauties of this book is that there really is no "main character." We are able to witness the events unfold through the believing eyes of Mary Ann, the unbelieving eyes of Benjamin, the renegade Joshua, the "good boy" Nathan, and the several eyes of opposition, the McBride's for example. Each character is complete and well molded with distinct personalities, histories, and ways of thinking.  

Point of view of story: Third person

Book length: Medium to long

Story flow: Some flashbacks, but overall fluid.

Grammar and spelling issues: None that bothered me, but perhaps a few different words and spellings because the story takes place in 1800's and the mixing of languages as immigrants came to the country.

Character connection (no spoilers): As stated above, there really is no main character but a few of my favorite characters are Mary Ann, Lydia, and Nathan.

For series:
Independent or integral: Independent, first in series
 
Series review as a whole:  I love when a book can sweep me away and I forget where I am and how long I've been reading. This series has proved to be one of the few that can do that for me. Each of the characters is so well developed and multifaceted. I also love that while some literary liscence is taken, the history is very well researched and events are as close to what we know happened as possible.
 
I especially apprecite that, while it is clear that being on Joseph's side is the right thing to do, the author gives details from both believers and non-believers. It is easy to see why some would think Joseph was a fraud or why the Missourians were scared of all the Mormon's moving into their land and what that could mean for their livelihood. I guess I mean that the books aren't one sided, they show the good and the bad.   
 
If you only have time for one, read: Book 1, A Pillar of Light as first in series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less