Skip to main content

Bobby Flay's Burger's, Fries, and Shakes by Bobby Flay

Concept: Ways to dress up a burger, make fries and other sides, and shakes. Most recipes come from his restaurant Bobby's Burger Palace. 

Author: Bobby Flay (With Stephanie Banyas and Sally Jackson). Bobby Flay is famous for his Latin American inspired foods and for his bold flavors. He owns 5 restaurants across the United States. He is an Iron Chef and competes on several cooking shows. My favorite of his shows is "Throw Down with Bobby Flay" and "Beat Bobby Flay" both of which operate on the concept of having someone who is really good at a type of food come and compete against Bobby Flay. Both of them make the same type of food (enchiladas, pie, homemade mac and cheese...whatever it is) and are judged by a blind taste test. Most of the times Bobby wins, but win or lose he is always very gracious and he makes the competition a lot of fun. 

Food type: Burgers, fries, and shakes

Monologue score (1-10): 7.5, not boring, but not super exciting either - average. I did like the tips I gathered from the beginning of each section.   

Difficulty level: Easy to intermediate 

Approximate percentage of recipes I would be willing to try: Overall I'd say I'd be willing to try 45% of the recipes in the book.  

When it comes to burgers I am as plain jane as it comes, cheese and mustard only. That being the case, most of the burger recipes didn't appeal to me (however, my husband would enjoy several of them). What I was most interested in was the "how to" section at the beginning of each section. I learned tips for how to make a good size burger patty and that it helps to make a thumb sized imprint in the middle of a burger so it doesn't swell too much. I learned that you can use jam in a fruit flavored shake to supplement the fruit flavor. I also learned some tips on how to make homemade french fries along with homemade seasonings and condiments. 

Sample recipes I'm interested in trying:
  • Oven Roasted Fries
  • Bistro French Fries (garlic/parsley fries)
  • Barbecue, Asian, and Cuban seasonings (for fries or burger)
  • Peanut Butter-Banana-Marshmallow  Milkshake
  • Blackberry Cheesecake Milkshake 

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Matched By Ally Condie

    Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

    Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

    Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

    Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less