Skip to main content

The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #2) by Rick Riordan

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Thor's hammer is missing and Magnus and his team must get it back or the end of the world will commence. 

Category: YA 
Why I chose this book: Enjoyed Riordan's previous works, was trying to give the series a second chance 
My personal opinion (the review): Awful, awful, awful! I didn't like the first book in this series, but I have enjoyed Riordan in the past so I wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself. How wrong I was. First, Magnus is a terrible character and is written poorly. The pop culture references are so dated. There is quite a bit of LGBT references. This is the scene where I put the book down. Magnus has just met a new character - Alex:




“What did you mean earlier?” I asked. “When you said—”
“Call me she? I’m gender fluid and transgender, idiot. Look it up if you need to, but it’s not my job to educate—”
“That’s not what I meant.”
“Oh, please. I saw your mouth hanging open.”
“Well, yeah. Maybe for a second. I was surprised. But…” I wasn’t sure how to continue without sounding like even more of an idiot.
The gender thing wasn’t what surprised me. A huge percentage of the homeless teens I’d met had been assigned one gender at birth but identified as another, or they felt like the whole boy/girl binary didn’t apply to them. They ended up on the streets because—shocker—their families didn’t accept them. Nothing says “tough love” like kicking your non-hetero-normative kid to the curb so they can experience abuse, drugs, high suicide rates, and constant physical danger. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
What surprised me was the way I’d reacted to Alex—how fast my impression of her had slingshot, and the kind of emotions that had stirred up. I wasn’t sure I could put that into words without turning as red as Mallory Keen’s hair."  

This has no place in literature that is being marketed to middle schoolers. It just doens't. 

I can't vouch for the validity of this since I didn't finish the book, but I found another review on goodreads that worries me further:

"Final complaint, and this one guys is the taker of the cake: this series is apparently Rick Riordan's political and social platform and that's unacceptable. He starts us off with Transgenderism. Okay, I get that. He's progressively added things into his series' in the past so I can see and accept adding one new issue. But then he quickly moves onto religion. All of a sudden we're discussing the ins and outs of the Muslim religion and atheism... ok, it took me by surprise, especially considering I'm barely 1/4 of the way through the book. We're really discussing heavy topics. But then he takes a GIGANTIC stab at police officers. I was incredibly offended by this. I kept reading to see if he'd explain himself or share both sides of the issue??? Nope. He just says they are racist and out to hurt people if you're not careful. That's it. We're DONE. In the Kane Chronicles, we touched on race issues and I thought it was done in a classy low key kind of way. I admired that. This series though, ripped that admiration away. "

I will not be picking up any Riordan books from here on out. He has lost a fan. 


Language: I seem to remember that there were a few words, but I'm writing this several months after reading it
Violence: The usual for Riordan
"Adult" situations: LGBT
Death: Nothing through the part I read

For series:
Independent or integral: Integral 

Series review as a whole: Don't bother

If you only have time for one, read: Don't bother 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less