Skip to main content

The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg Reviewer #2

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceony Twill arrives at the cottage of Magician Emery Thane with a broken heart. Having graduated at the top of her class from the Tagis Praff School for the Magically Inclined, Ceony is assigned an apprenticeship in paper magic despite her dreams of bespelling metal. And once she’s bonded to paper, that will be her only magic… forever.

Yet the spells Ceony learns under the strange yet kind Thane turn out to be more marvelous than she could have ever imagined — animating paper creatures, bringing stories to life via ghostly images, even reading fortunes. But as she discovers these wonders, Ceony also learns of the extraordinary dangers of forbidden magic.
An Excisioner — a practitioner of dark, flesh magic — invades the cottage and rips Thane’s heart from his chest. To save her teacher’s life, Ceony must face the evil magician and embark on an unbelievable adventure that will take her into the chambers of Thane’s still-beating heart—and reveal the very soul of the man. (Amazon)

Category: Sci-fi 

Why I chose this book: Recommended by my Father and Brother 

My personal opinion (the review) (*Spoilers*): Rule #3578 - you cannot solely depend on someone else's opinion before diving into a book. My Dad and Brother both highly recommended this book, and while I agree with them I really wasn't prepared for what happened in the story. I failed to read any kind of description of the story line before I dove in (I think the fact that it's a kindle only, not paper copy book) contributed to this).Thus about 3 chapters in when Lira storms in and pulls out Emery's heart I was totally thrown for a huge loop. And then 3/4 of the book was spent with Ceony actually inside, yes walking around inside, Thane's heart. Can I just say...gross...

The idea behind the magic, bonding only to a certain material, was really quite interesting. Also, the author would just have me pulled into one of the episodes of Emery's life and then she would pull back out and the blood thirsty woman would be chasing Ceony with the "thump thump" of Emery's heart in the background and it would totally loose me. Again, the idea of walking through someone's heart to see into their past experiences is cool, but I just wasn't prepared.  

Warning:
Language: Mild
Violence: There is quite a bit of blood involved all through out the book. There on non-graphic description of a pile of mutilated dead bodies. 
"Adult" situations: Mentioned, but nothing inappropriate. 

Movie rating equivalent: Not quite PG-13, but more than PG

Protagonist description: Ceony is very fiery but very delicate too. She has a bad habit of getting into things over her head without thinking it through. 

Point of view of story: Third Person

Book length: Medium-Long

Story flow: Easy enough to follow, but it does jump around a lot 

Grammar and spelling issues: None

Character connection (no spoilers): None

For series:
Independent or integral: Stand-alone
If you only have time for one, read: Start with the Paper Magician, but my favorite of the series is The Master Magician.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to first review: http://bcereviews.blogspot.com/2014/08/book-name-and-author-paper-magician-by.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less