Skip to main content

Legend by Marie Lu

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Category: YA dystopian

Why I chose this book: Been on my list of a while

My personal opinion (the review): I can hear what your saying, another dystopian teen novel? Yes, I know... And in some ways it totally fits the mold. This one did feel somewhat darker than some of the other novels I have read. There was a lot of fighting and brutality. However, I listened to this book on a Playaway system and I'm wondering if my brain processes a book differently when I listen to it verses reading it. I also felt like June's "turning point" where she finds out everything isn't what it seems was kind of lame. It felt like the author didn't quite know how to create this scene and scrambled to make something up just to get it over with. I also don't feel like the author included much of the back story of how the society was created and how the society got to where it is at the beginning of the story. 

Amidst all the negatives, there was something I liked about this book. I'm not really sure what it is or how to describe it. Maybe it was empathy for the characters. Maybe I just really like the author's style. I'm not really sure, but I felt (mildly) emotionally invested in what happened. And that doesn't really sound right either...Whatever it was, I do recommend this book for those that can handle the blood (fighting and shooting) factor. I am definitly planning on reading the next book in the series. 

Warnings:
Language: 5-10 curse words spread throughout (usually used during a fight scene)
Violence: Lots - hand to hand combat, beatings, point blank shootings, soldiers firing into a crowd
"adult" situations: A few "teenage" romance scenes, doesn't really go anywhere
Death: Several, semi important (but not main) characters

Movie rating equivalent: R for violence, blood, some language

Protagonist description:
Day, already jaded at 15 by his life experiences, lives on the street with most of his family believing that he is already dead. He is street smart, able to read people well, and ready to fight for what he wants. He prefers to work alone, but he also cares very deeply for his family and took pity on Tess when she needed help.

June is very proper and exact, but a lot of it is a front from trying to be strong since her parents died. Especially at the beginning of the story she wants to fit in and please everyone. She is smart and quick on her feet. She is the one who experiences most of the changes during the story.  
    
Point of view of story: Switches between Day and June's perspective, clearly marked at the top of each chapter. 

Book length: Medium

Story flow: A bit choppy as it changes perspective, but it does flow mostly smoothly. 

Grammar and spelling issues: None

Character connection (no spoilers): None

For series:
Independent or integral: Independent as first in series
Series review as a whole
If you only have time for one, read: Legend, start at the beginning 
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less