Skip to main content

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Brief synopsis (no spoilers)
Young girl along with all other girls in her age range (12 to 17) from a small rural land (mountain village that mines the fictional stone linder) are required to attend an academy to prepare them for the prince of the kingdom, who will be choosing a bride from their village.

Category
Fiction, YA

Why I chose this book
The author was recommended to me

My personal opinion (the review)
I loved it. The characters were real. The academy taught not only the expected poise and etiquette the title implies but also history and diplomacy and other real life subjects. The overall message of the book was one of growth and change and self reflection, learning to be better, not dreaming of a magical ending. (Although there is one small magical element to the story, among the miners.) It focused on education and family, which I really like.

All of the character development was great, but the main character especially was something I'd not only be comfortable with my daughters reading but that I will recommend to my daughters. (My oldest is almost 10 and is an avid reader. I feel she is level enough to understand the book.) Miri (the young girl the story is told through)  feels treated unfairly, weak, and without potential, but realizes her own inner strength and her ability to contribute to her family and village/community in other ways throughout the story.

Warnings (language, violence, "adult" situations, death, etc.)
None that I can remember. The main character's mother is deceased before the story begins.
Any other death that I may have forgotten was not to a character I was attached to.

Movie rating equivalent
G

Protagonist description
Physically weak, emotionally strong. Thoughtful of others. Determined.

Point of view of story
3rd person, focused on Miri 
(*disclaimer - I procrastinated writing this review and now I can't remember - alternate: 1st person through Miri)

Book length
a week

Story flow
great - not too slow or too fast anywhere

Grammar and spelling issues
None or rare

Character connection (no spoilers)
none

For series:
Princess academy, palace of stone is the sequel

Independent or integral (stand-alone or back story dependent)
Stand alone

Series review as a whole
Loved it. I'll review the sequel next.
The second book might be too difficult in subject matter (politics of the kingdom) for my 10 year old to understand, but both books are well written and give characters that are worth admiration. They also give characters that are not what they seem, illustrating the need to understand the true character of someone.

If you only have time for one, read: (which one)
This one (the first)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less