Skip to main content

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Book name and author
My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult

Brief synopsis (no spoilers)
"It tells the story of 13-year-old Anna, who litigates her parents for medical emancipation when she is expected to donate a kidney to her sister Kate, who is dying from leukemia." From Wikipedia

Why I chose this book
My sister recommended it

My personal opinion (the review)
Full of teenage angst and "no one understands me" drama, but also an incredibly compelling story. No one is shallow, no one is easy to hate, everyone's normal- and messed up. It's a great book, until the end. The end was such a disappointment that I almost don't recommend it. Tell you what, stop right after the court case closes and it'll be a great book. Keep reading if you need a good, cleansing cry.

Warnings (language, violence, "adult" situations, death, etc.)
Language: scattered, some of it strong, but it's rare enough that it doesn't stick out in my mind
Violence: none
Adult situations: two of the main characters have a sexual past that they reflect on; some sexual situations, but they quickly "fade to the next morning"
Death: cannot respond, might (or might not) involve a spoiler (see the synopsis)

Movie rating equivalent
PG-16 (not "R" material, but I wouldn't let a 13-year old read it)

Protagonist description
Anna is healthy, Kate is very sick. Anna is supposed to be the younger sibling, but is forced into being more like the older one.

Point of view of story
Flips between the 2 girls, their parents, the lawyer, and the guardian ad litem. Tough to keep straight who's narrating- I had to check constantly.

Book length
Long. There were so many flashbacks and side stories and so much backstory, that it could easily have been 500 pages. It wasn't, but it could have.

Story flow
No part of it dragged, but the story line was often quiet and calm

Grammar and spelling issues
None

Character connection (no spoilers)
Campbell had me chuckling constantly. I'd read a prequel about him, if there were one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matched By Ally Condie

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (Amazon) Category: YA dystopian Why I chose this book: Recommended based on other things I have read, it's been on my list for a while My personal opinion (the review): Of the many popular dystopian/futur

Slave, Warrior, Queen by Morgan Rice

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Ceres is a young woman (17) living in an oppressive Empire, with an equally oppressive mother. She has ties to a rebellion, and stronger ties to her brothers. She is basically thrown around her world constantly- enslaved, imprisoned, set loose, etc. Each time, she puts herself in the best position to cause the most damage to whatever she hates most. Category : YA fiction, fantasy Why I chose this book : Recommended on the library website My personal opinion : It's complicated. I loved the action, the pace, the unknown special power, the strong female lead character, the general story line. But I disliked the coincidence (see Emma Coats, rule #19, link below)- Ceres got out of trouble so many times. Mostly by fighting, but a couple times by coincidence. I disliked that the "Queen" phase never came, before the end of the book. Maybe that's part of the series, but the next book doesn't mention that in its title. I disliked tha

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Brief synopsis Clary and Jace continue their Shadowhunter path, chasing after demons and one "bad guy" in particular. They're attracted to each other deeply, and they're also siblings. Eww. With the help of werewolves and vampires, the good guys fight a bunch of demons led by a madman. Category YA Fiction Why I chose this book My daughter wanted to read the series, so I decided to give the next book a try. My personal opinion  (the review) I'm very disappointed. The characters are caricatures- complete personifications of one particular trait, each. The plot is predictable (the good guys will win, in the end). Jace and Clary are basically invincible. The only thing the story has going for it is the cliffhangers. Throughout the book, it felt like the story was constantly begging, "wait, don't put me down- there's another surprise coming!" I don't recommend this book at all. Warnings Language: A couple f-words at the beginning, less